Friday, March 13, 2009

tom yum goong

Different country in South-East Asia have their own version of sour soup. Like Philippines they called it Sinigang (if I'm not wrong), Indonesia has Sayur Asem and Thailand has Tom Yum. I have yet to discover if Vietnam has their own version of sour soup.
Tom Yum probably is the most popular soup in Thai food. I'm not a big fan of sour food but Tom Yum on the other hand makes me change my mind. It has so much flavor in this soup that I just can't help but to love it. My version of Tom Yum is totally different from any other original recipe because I use a lot of vegetables in it.

Vegetable & Shrimps Tom Yum


Serves 3

3 cups vegetable stock
2tsp garlic
3tbsp chopped lemongrass
4 kaffir lime leaves
2tbsp fish sauce
3tbsp tom yum paste
2 carrots, sliced it round
200g bean sprouts
200g green beans, sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced
2 bird's eye chili
1/2 cup tamarind juice (optional)
2tbsp lime juice (optional)
sugar (optional)
10 medium/large shrimps, shelled
a handful of coriander


1. Boil stock in a deep pot in a medium-high heat.
2. Add lemongrass, lime leaves, garlic and chili into the pot, boil for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
3. Add the sprouts, green beans, carrots, bell peppers and shrimps until they're cooked.
4. Turn the heat to low and add fish sauce & tom yum paste. If it's not too sour you can add tamarind juice/lime juice but if it is add sugar to your preference.
5. Chop coriander and mix it to the soup.

1 comment:

  1. this is delicious soup!!! actually the problem is no to cook it, but to collect all these ingredients! I used to buy ingredients in Thailand when I go there for vacation. But now I’ve run out of my stock, and order all the ingredients online through thai tom yum shop! I use this one: Tom Yum Recipe .com, but you can google your own favorite tom yum shop))

    ReplyDelete